Canadian Organic Vegetable Improvement (CANOVI) is a five-year collaborative project launched in 2018 by the UBC Centre for Sustainable Food Systems, the Bauta Family Initiative on Canadian Seed Security, and FarmFolk CityFolk. The goals of the project are:
- Test varieties for: (1) adaptation to agro-ecological practices, (2) nutrition and flavour, and (3) domestic seed production potential in Canada.
- Generate and share varietal data with farmers and seed producers.
- Collect and analyze data (called “functional traits”) to assess crop performance in organic systems.
- Implement on-farm Participatory Plant Breeding to create new lines of priority crops, including carrot, bell pepper, and squash.
- Build farmer capacity for on-farm trialing and breeding.