On the longest day of the year in 2019, FarmFolk CityFolk and Young Agrarians hosted the first open house at the new FarmFolk CityFolk Research and Education Seed Farm in Abbotsford! Located at Maple Lane Agriculture Innovation Centre, the Seed Farm is a first-of-its-kind model in Canada that will train current and future seed growers and advance organic vegetable seed research while demonstrating the economic potential of organic seed production in BC. (Read more about the seed farm below.)
The Seed Farm was matched with Maple Lane Farm through the B.C. Land Matching Program by Young Agrarians.
The Farm Folk CityFolk Research and Education Seed Farm’s goals are to:
– Conduct vegetable seed research to increase food system resiliency through seed trials and variety improvement to help organic vegetable producers meet production challenges and changing climate conditions
– Train farmers in a live, learning environment on best practices for producing high-quality organic and ecological vegetable seed
– Model an economically viable seed farm business by openly sharing business planning documents as well as seed and food production best practices
– Demonstrate how leasing programs can effectively link farmers with owners of agriculture land for mutual benefit
– Engage the public through hands-on educational opportunities that demonstrate the importance of seed to food security and sustainability