Chocolate Beet Cake Recipe
Chocolate Beet Cake
Yield: 80 sample pieces/ 8 Large pieces of cake
- 4 medium beets, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- Vegetable oil cooking spray/ Coconut Oil/ Veg oil for pan greasing
- Cover beets with 2 inches water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until very tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp paring knife, about 30 minutes. Drain. Puree beets in a food processor until smooth. Portion out 300g or 1 ¼ Cup of beet puree and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk in eggs, water, oil, vanilla, and 1 1/4 cups beet puree (reserve remaining puree for another use).
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan (3 inches deep) with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment, and coat with spray. Pour batter into pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Turn out cake from pan, and discard parchment. Let cool completely, right side up.
- Trim top of cake using a serrated knife to create a level surface. Transfer cake, cut side down, to a platter. Pour chocolate glaze over the top, and let set, about 30 minutes. Garnish with beet chips.
- Tip: Make more than one recipe of beet puree at a time to blend more smoothly in the blender. Portion into 300g portions and freeze for quicker baking next time. Beet puree is also delicious in pasta sauce and in smoothies.
Candied Beet Chips
- 4 Baby Chioggia Beets
- 1 ½ Cups Water
- ½ Cup Sugar
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Slice beets very thinly into rounds, preferably on a mandoline. Bring water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Add beets. Reduce heat, and simmer until slightly translucent, about 30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer beets in a single layer to a rimmed baking sheet lined with a nonstick baking mat. Bake until dry and slightly firm, about 1 hour.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Bring heavy cream and corn syrup to a gentle simmer in a small saucepan. Pour over chocolate in a bowl, and let stand for 1 minute. Stir until chocolate melts and mixture is shiny and smooth. Let cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Use immediately.
Building the Cake
- Let cake cool fully on a wire rack with a tray underneath
- Pour warm glaze over the cake, letting the tray catch the excess
- Before the icing sets garnish with the candied beet chips
- Transfer to a clean plate and serve. Garnish with fruit as well if desired
- Enjoy with friends and family!