Canape of Sweet & Spicy Carrot Red Lentil Hummus with Ginger & Carrot Slaw on a Cucumber Slice
Yield: 60 Canapes
Carrot Red Lentil Hummus
200g Red Lentil
Pinch of Salt
170g Raw Carrot (weight before peeling), medium dice
0.5 tbsp Spicy Crushed Chilies
0.5 tsp Honey
0.5 tsp Whole Cumin Seeds
0.5 tsp Salt
0.5 tsp Gr. Black Pepper
0.5 tbsp Tahini
0.5 lemon, juiced, no seeds
0.5 cup + 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Toss carrots, cumin seeds, chili flakes, honey, 1tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Lay evenly on a baking tray and roast in the preheated oven until tender and slightly caramelized. About 20-30 mins. Check after 15 mins and then every 5 mins.
- Rinse the lentils in cool water until the water runs quite clear.
- Place lentils in a pot and cover with 2cm of water. Add roughly chopped garlic and salt.
- Bring to a boil on high, stir well and reduce heat to low. Stir the lentils frequently and add a little water if drying out. The lentils are cooked when they are more yellow than orange and you can see a little hook on the lentil grains. Don’t allow them to stick to the pot.
- Pour the lentils into a fine mesh sieve and let drain while you prepare the slaw.
- In a food processor, blend the carrots until chunky (not smooth). Remove and set aside.
- In the same processor (no need to clean after carrots) add the lentils, tahini, lemon juice and olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- Add the carrots to the hummus and process (blend) for a few seconds until combined.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Remember when food is cold you taste less salt than when warm. Transfer to a dish and cool in the fridge.
Carrot & Ginger Slaw
480g Carrot (weight before peeling), grated coarsely
1 Recipe of Dressing Below
4 tsp Sesame Seeds
2 tbsp Chives, sliced fine
12g Garlic, minced
12g Ginger, minced
2 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Tamari
1 tsp Honey
0.5 tsp Mustard
0.5 tbsp Olive Oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Mince garlic and ginger on a microplane. Mix into dressing ingredients. Whisk well
- Combine grated carrot and dressing, mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning as you see fit.
- Gently fold in chives and sesame seeds, set aside
Carrot Red Lentil Hummus
Carrot and Ginger Slaw
2 Long English Cucumbers, Sliced to 0.5 cm on an angle
- Lay cucumbers out a cutting board. Add a dollop (quenelle with two spoons if feeling extra fancy) of hummus on the cucumber slice. Add a finger full of slaw that is built up high.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Garish with more chives or paprika on the plate. Enjoy!
Got Leftover Ingredients? Make a pizza!
Use hummus as the base, add fresh chives and tomato slices from the garden then evenly place carrot slaw on top, add crumbled blue cheese, fresh arugula and drizzle with honey. It’s weirdly delicious!
Recipe by Chef Carla Hick of FarmFolk CityFolk