Beet Bite Recipe
Beet Bite: Canape of Citrus Herbed Chevre and Pickled Golden Beets served on a Cucumber Slice with a Julienne Chioggia Garnish
Recipe created by Carla Hick
Yield: ~50 Servings, Prep Time 1 hour, Pickling Time: Overnight
- 230g Golden Beets (1.5 Cups Chopped)
- 1Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 Long English Cucumbers
- 2 Small Chioggia Beets
Pickled Beet Brine
- 0.25 Cup Sugar
- 0.75 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 0.5 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 0.25 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 Sprig of Thyme
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Scallions, green and white separated, sliced thin
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 100g Chevre
- 1 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 2 tsp Tarragon, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Dill, chopped
- 2 tsp Thyme, chopped
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 0.5 tsp Salt
- 0.5 tsp Gr. Black Pepper
- Boil whole beets with skin on. Add 1 Tbsp of vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- While beets are cooking place mustard seeds & peppercorns in a sachet (using cheese cloth or a tea bag) combine all ingredients for the brine in a pot, bring to a boil, dissolve the sugar. Turn off the heat.
- After 30 mins check beets for tenderness using a fork. Make sure to test the largest beet.
- Drain. Let cool slightly and remove skin. Medium dice, put in a glass bowl and set aside.
- Re-heat the brine until it steams then pour the brine over the beets. Let cool on the counter. When sufficiently cool, cover with a lid and store in the fridge overnight.
The Next Day
- Strain beets and drain for 10 minutes. Place beets in a bowl lined with paper towel to absorb the excess liquid. Set aside.
- Lightly saute the garlic and white part of the scallions in oil on low to medium heat, salt and pepper. Do not brown, stir frequently. Remove from pan and set aside when done cooking.
- Whip the chevre in a stand up mixer on medium with the paddle attachment. Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides. Start again and slowly pour in the cream. When you have a nice velvety texture add the garlic/onion mixture, chopped herbs, seasoning and orange zest. Mix on low until combined. Check the taste – adjust as necessary. Using a spatula, scrape into a container and set aside.
- Peel the raw chioggia beets. Slice very thinly (with the grain/ maintaining the circle shape) with a knife or on a mandolin. Stack the slices and julienne. Set aside.
- Slice the cucumber into ¼ inch to ½ inch slices to make ~ 50 slices. Set aside.
Building the Canape
- Using a small spoon scoop out chevre mixture (~2g). Using another small spoon to assist make a clump of cheese on the cucumber. Make a small crater in the middle of the cheese.
- Add ~4g of pickled beets in the crater.
- Garnish with a finger full of julienne chioggia beet
- Present nicely on a platter and impress your friends with this canape! Enjoy.