2nd Year of Curly Kale Growth – Data Collection
We saw a particularly cold winter here in Vancouver and it killed most of the lacinato varieties of kale. The curly kale was quite damaged as well, but is making a fierce come back! The leaves still taste great too.
In the second year of curly kale growth we will be evaluating for traits that may infer suitability to our growing region for taking kale to seed. So far in the works we have recorded the date of flowering and next up we will measure the height of the plants to see if there are any significant differences between varieties. So far, we saw that Nash’s Green Curly Kale was consistently the first to flower! However, all varieties flowered within 6 days of each other. We can also evaluate for date of seed set and yield (by count and weight) of seed per plant.
Newsletter Sign up
Recent Blog Posts
- Harvesting Carrot Seed October 26, 2017
- Carrots Harvested! October 26, 2017
- Leeks, Rust and Frogs October 26, 2017
- BC Seed Gathering – BC Seed Trials Tour at UBC Farm October 15, 2017
- Gleaning from the Variety Showcase October 9, 2017